The EU has started to negotiate its future budget for the period 2014 to 2020. Our report looks at development funding in the future budget, and makes recommendations on how the EU can improve on its first proposals.
- The screening of the DCI regulation proposal lacks any reference to Policy Coherence for Development
- There should be an increase in joint programming between EU development programmes and those of member states
- Ensure differentiation doesn’t ignore poor people living in nominally wealthy middle income countries (as measured by GNI and growth)
- Blending must be used cautiously to ensure it actually works in favour of development goals
- DCI budget should almost entirely consist of ODA
- Climate financing and aid should be accounted for separately