This position paper lays out CONCORD’s recommendations with regards to the shape of the External Action Instruments in the forthcoming Multiannual Financial Framework 2014-2020. We believe that these recommendations are in keeping with the goal of development and poverty eradication.
- The European Commission’s proposal to increase the size of the EU Budget for external action and the proposed significant increase in development aid is welcome
- All proposed regulations relating to cooperation with developing countries should reference to the objective of poverty reduction
- The next MFF should reiterate the overarching goal of poverty reduction along with sustainable development and growth
- Use all available opportunities to increase EU joint work by default in programming
- The gap between humanitarian aid and long-term financing for development must be bridged