NGOs getting ready for Addis summit
3 February 2015
By Seamus Jeffreson, Director of CONCORD, the European confederation of Relief and Development NGOs
Many of our members are gearing up for crucial talks on financing for development at the flagship summit taking place in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia on 13-16 July this year.
CONCORD member CIDSE is already planning a series of initiatives leading up to the summit.
Please find an overview below:
The FFD3 will take place on 13-16 July 2015 in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. It follows the first International Conference on Financing for Development (Monterrey, 2002) and the Doha Review Conference (2008). Having participated in the process leading up to these two conferences and their follow-up, CIDSE is actively engaged in the FFD3 process and welcomes the timing of the conference in July, shortly before the high level segment of the UN General Assembly agrees on the new Post-2015 Sustainable Development Framework in September and a new international climate agreement is reached in December 2015.
The conference in Addis Ababa will need to secure multilateral strategies to ensure that the financial, trade and monetary systems contribute to the new international consensus on sustainable development, and should address climate change. In the briefing note, “Some reflections on the structure of the Third FFD Conference Outcome Document”, CIDSE argues that the structure of the Monterrey Outcome Document should be maintained in the Addis Ababa outcome document.
– 27-29 January: First Drafting Session of the FFD3 Outcome document (New York)
– 4-5 March: Hearings with Civil Society Organisations (New York)
– 13-17 April: Second Drafting Session (New York)
– 15-19 June: Third Drafting Session (New York)
A new policy paper to be published shortly will present CIDSE’s latest views, together with its expectations from the conference.
CIDSE will also organize in a series of events in the run up to the Financing for Development Conference:
• Side event co-sponsored by Social Watch and the Permanent Mission of Brazil to the UN. The side event will focus on “Applying Common but Differentiated Responsibilities in a Financing Sustainable Development Context” (New York, 29 January 2015)
Jean Saldanha, Senior Policy Advisor, will represent CIDSE.
• Round table with Irish Officials (Dublin, 19 February 2015) organized with Trócaire and the Debt and Development Coalition Ireland on development finance in the context of the Third Financing for Development Conference and the Post 2015 Agenda.
CIDSE is also contributing to facilitating international and European civil society’s advocacy on finance issues for 2015. At the European level, CIDSE chairs the European Financing for Development Task Force coordinated by Concord. At the International level, it is part of the Civil Society Coordinating Group for the Addis Ababa Financing for Development Conference and is offering logistic support and facilitation.
Contact person: Jean Saldanha, Senior Policy Advisor: saldanha(at)cidse.org