At a time, not long after the cold wars had ended, walls were taken down and curtains fell, we saw a Union of European nations rising from the ashes. Since this Union had an ever increasing impact on the lives of people, wherever they may live, as well as on the planet supporting us, citizens rose to the the challenge and started to organise with the aim to keep the Union on the right path and ensure those in power took decisions on the basis of the right values and in the interest of all.
But they found it so difficult to be listened to when they all were shouting at the door of all the many decision-makers involved, be they in capitals, in Brussels, in parliaments or in government buildings.
Therefore, they decided to join forces, coordinate and divide the labour, and together through a common confederation called CONCORD, they now try to change the world.
Who we are
CONCORD is the European confederation of Relief and Development NGOs. We are made up of member organisations: 28 national associations, 24 international networks and 3 associate members that represent more than 2,600 NGOs, supported by millions of citizens across Europe. We are a member-led organisation which means that the members give the strategic direction of the confederation.
CONCORD envisions a world where people enjoy their right to live free of poverty and exploitation as well as their right to enjoy wellbeing and equality. This must be achieved by a citizen-led transformative agenda based on social justice and gender equality and respecting diversity and the limits of our planetary capacity.
CONCORD members work together to ensure that:
- European policies promote sustainable economic, social and human development, addressing the causes of poverty, and based on human rights, gender equality, justice and democracy.
- The rights and responsibilities of citizens and organised civil society to influence those representing them in governments and EU institutions, are promoted and respected.
The following principles support our mission:
- Human Rights
- Gender Equality
- ‘Practicing what we preach’
Our strategy for 2016-2022 is based on two pillars of work supported by key principles:
- European policy promotes sustainable economic, social and human development, addressing the causes of poverty and inequality, and is based on human rights, gender equality, justice and democracy. Making sustainable development a reality for all.
- The rights and responsibilities of citizens and organised civil society, to influence those representing them in governments and EU institutions, are promoted and respected. An enhanced sharing and learning space to support our sector in transition.
This strategy has been translated into 4 working areas:
CONCORD Europe is registered in the EU Transparency Register and by registering, has signed the Transparency Register Code of Conduct.