In this consultation paper, CONCORD gives its opinion on the role civil society organisations (CSOs) should play in development as the European Commission prepares a Communication on the subject of Civil Society Organisations in Development.
- Realising CSOs’ capacity to make progress on the Istanbul Principles is deeply affected by government and donor policies and practices
- The EU should support CSOs in all situations
- Minimum standards are required to measure progress in creating an enabling environment for CSOs
- CSOs role in domestic accountability and oversight should not be restricted
- EU NGOs should support CSOs in developing countries
- The Communication should support pluralistic and active CSOs in Europe and in partner countries